Friday, February 10, 2012

Oil and Water - David Orr

"water has shaped the landscape but oil has shaped the mindscape"
-oil is relative to speed and accumulation.

WATER AND OIL COMPLETE OPOSITES
- water makes life, oil is toxic.

This reminds me of the BP oil spill in which the two collided and systems were destroyed because of human's disregard for nature in contrast to the money that can be made through oil.

Orr says people tend to "binge" on oil, meaning when it was noticed as useful for so many things humans took advantage and never looked back.

Oil increased money and land intelligence, which is how fast we can travel over it.

Although oil and water is something we think of on a very basic level, such as putting vegetable oil in a bowl of water to demonstrate their contrast, however, we don't think of it as how it has an effect on the global level. We don't really think of ourselves as being so water-based, or at least I don't really. I understand what biology tells me in that I'm mostly made up of water, but that's not how I think about myself. Because I've grown up in the technology age I have never been exposed to a world that was full of nature, which water is the basis of. Oil however, and its importance in the world, is something I've definitely been exposed to, between watching gas prices go up and down, our country in debt and watching other countries fight and go to war just to be in control of the oil supply. The thing that I think of the most when I think of the difference between oil and water is the BP spill. IT brings it back to the basic level of oil mixing with water yet on a larger scale it shows how oil can destroy water and the systems which live in it. I think this article really lay's it out in a basic, easy to understand way, of how ridiculous it is to be so attached to something so hurtful and toxic.

No comments:

Post a Comment