Friday, February 10, 2012

Helpful Video!


This video was so unbelievably helpful for me to understand the ecological hierarchy more in depth. I don't necessarily have the brain for science and I know that's a mental block but I've always had trouble with it, when I first saw the diagram for the ecological hierarchy it made me really nervous to not understand it. Being able to watch this video, in class and again on my own, made me able to visualize the way the hierarchy works. Even being able to look at the picture of each part of the hierarchy made me understand the systems, and system diagrams much more. It allowed me to have a picture in my mind about the relationships between the individuals, populations and communities, which I had trouble understanding before. For instance, it's very easy after watching this to think of myself as the individual, the population my immediate family, and the community of our household and how we interact with each other. To make even more subsystems, I can imagine the doorways between our rooms and the hallways as the corridors  and our bedrooms as our patches, within each room being a whole new system. It's difficult to think at first, of a system and its relationship to the things around it but the more I'm exposed to the idea, the more it makes sense to create systems and subsystems out of everything around me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment